Hi, It all started back in 1999, after returning back to the UK from a short stay in Spain I was looking for

an office to work from when just by chance I came upon  "The Beehive Photographic Centre" in Camden

North London. On renting an office at the Beehive,

one of my first purchases was a little orange iMac

with a copy of Photoshop 5. Now days I will use my

cameras in the same way an artist will use a sketch

pad, to record images for stock to use later.

I'm finding this has put the fun back into using my

cameras again. My photographic life has gone through

many changes. Leaving school in 1959, aged 15

I got jobs in what use to be called D & P Labs. These

were factories where the public sent their films for

processing. But the main point of working in the film




labs was not the wages, but to get my own films processed and printed.  My photographic work in 1961 consisted of a collection of black and white prints of girlfriends shot on my twin lens  Yashicaflex , as well as a rather large collection of prints of my sculptures.  At this time that was where I saw my future,  as a Sculptor.  My heroes were other sculptors not Photographers,

Barbara Hepworth,  Henry Moor, Jacob Epstein  and  Constantin Brancusi. In 1963 I got a job working at Wallace Heaton's, in London's Bond Street. Where under the tutelage of some very talented photographers I learnt the art of portraiture  on a 12" x 10" plate camera And how to shoot interiors and exteriors on Speed Graphics  That really was a different world. In 1966

the World Cup.  I was making money as a Smudger    (slang for street photographer) photographing the visitors to London, I left the Capital to go and try my luck on the South Coast armed with Passport, Driving Licence, and Leica M3. After working the beach front in Bognor and Brighton I finished up on the Butlin's Holiday Camp in Bognor Regis. Where I was employed to run the colour processing lab. I left the camp in 1970 to join Ocean Pictures as a ships photographer, my first ship was the QE2 on the Transatlantic Runs. Over that period we spent five days and nights at sea, and Friday night late we would dock in New York, and sail Sunday afternoon for Southampton.  A weekend in New York every two weeks, not a bad job. After two years I was made up to Chief Photographer. I finally got off the ships in 1982.  Having spent 12 years sailing around the world, in what can only be looked upon as the hight of luxury. But during this period I did spend sometime ashore. Where with friends and associates, we set up studios and many other diverse businesses, in things like Banqueting Photography, Restaurant Photography,  Colour Processing laboratories, But the three day week in 1973/74 put pay to a lot of these. Over the next 16 years I opened and closed five photographic studios in and around London. Each studio a little bigger and better equipped than the last. My final Commercial Studio was a large open warehouse of around (5,000 sq feet )  1,500 sq meters in the East End of London, where I was born and spent my childhood. Which brings  me back to 1999 and my time as Chairman of the Beehive.

The Beehive Studios finally closed in 2005, The property being purchased by developers.

I still live in Camden, and I am now working on a set of images in and around Camden, which I

hope to finish next year 2014.




Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

All the main images on Studio-Photography.com are the copyright of the photographer Bob Tanner.

and may not be reproduced  without the written consent of Bob Tanner.